Mar 13, 2011

You Could Go To Prison, Fly Tippers Warned.

This is a previous article that I wrote (and was published) for my local newspaper the Gazette and Herald whilst on work experience. I am adding it to my blog so that employers I direct to my blog can see my past work.

People who fly tip in Wiltshire could face a £50,000 fine or six months in prison.

The warning has come from Wiltshire Council, which said this week it was determined to crack down on the problem. Last year there were 1,439 tipping incidents in the county, costing more than £130,000 in collection and disposal costs.

Dick Tonge, cabinet member for highways and transport, says: "We are going to track down on this. Almost everybody complains bitterly about the few who fly tip and litter our roads and countryside. The financial penalties for ignoring the law are severe. We don't want to spend our time prosecuting people who fly tip of don't dispose of their waste properly, but we can't allow the irresponsible few to get away with it."

Since April, more than 10 cases have been referred to the council's team, with four formal cautions already issues and a number of full prosecutions likely.

No comments:

Post a Comment